Wednesday 29 April 2015

Swing Dancing In North Brum



As many of you know I'm a big fan of Swing Dance and the Big Band music that goes with it. Tonight a new dance class started in Sutton Coldfield. This is great because, at the moment, all teaching and most social dancing takes place in South Birmingham. I don't have a problem with this but I do feel that a city-wide Swing Dance scene in a place the size of Birmingham is a must. Tonight was definitely a step in the right direction to achieve this!

The teachers are called Paul Neary and Sarah McHugh and their dance school is called Swing Express. They taught us in a relaxed, friendly and accessible way. There were a number of absolute beginners in the class and they all seemed to get to grips with the moves and enjoy themselves at the same time. I felt the more experienced dancers also had a great time too.


2 comments:

  1. I tried swing a couple of years ago and never got on with it. Just couldn't get a handle on the underlying rhythm.

    As for the music, I'm sure my dad can regale you for a long, long time about it :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure he could indeed ;-)

      It's a shame you didn't click with it. It's funny really, nearly every beginner, including myself, follows the rhythm when they start. It's when you start hearing the melody that everything clicks. Why not give it another go? Go on!

      Delete