Sunday 10 March 2013

Time Spent On Reconnaissance Is Never Wasted

Early this morning Aggers asked via Test Match Special's FaceBook page what people were doing while listening to the match commentary. So I told him: 'I'm painting 1/72 scale tanks & troops for a Megablitz Soviet tank corps.' This went down enormously well with Aggers and Virgil. I know this because they read out and discussed my post for a couple of minutes. Fame at last and a bit of free publicity!

And which toys in particular? Why the recce battalion of course! I bought a boxed pair of BA-10s (Pegasus) yesterday along with the Art of Tactic Soviet Recce Troops. I wanted a mixed battalion of armoured cars and recce troops. Luckily I'd also scored a bagful of the Days Gone By toy trucks so transport, for once, wasn't a problem for my brave lads.

I made a tilt for the truck after rubbing down and washing the paint work. I'm definitely getting better at this task. The brown paper works very well but I discovered that a drop of Vallejo WW2 Russian Uniform mixed with white glue gives a really worn tarpaulin look. I'm not shy with this mix either: use loads of it to really soak the paper and mould it onto the tilt frame.

The BA-10 was made straight from the box minus its spare wheels. It's a nice simple kit but with quite a good amount of detail. I noticed that the white glue/black paint mix I use as an undercoat and key has produced a nice rough finish on the toy's surface. Really armour-like.

The toy troops come as a 4-toy team. I decided to split them up into pairs. Undercoated with a mix of white glue and Vallejo brown. Once dry I painted their camo suits with Vallejo Russian Green with a drop of Vallejo WW2 Russian Uniform. Once dry I used Revell Dark Earth for the camo splodges and a final wash of GW Dervlan Mud.




TTFN!

10 comments:

  1. Отличная работа Джеймса, перед армией, несомненно, привыкли полагаться на эти прекрасные дополнения в свои силы megablitz

    Хорошо сделанный и модели на.

    С уважением, Павел

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Павел, спасибо вам большое за ваши добрые слова.

      Наше намерение заключается в smash фашистского гадюк, всю дорогу обратно в игрушка город Берлин!

      Товарищески

      Джеймс

      Delete
  2. Great vehicles but even greater to get a test match Special mention- well done sir!

    ReplyDelete
  3. A mention on TMS! What a coup ... and true fame at last.

    All the best,

    Bob

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! I made a cake to celebrate.....didn't tell them about it though ;-)

      Delete
  4. I'm delighted to hear of such a combination! Toy tanks, cricket and cake!
    On the other hand, two of these things are a but too bourgeois to be tolerated by the NKVD. They're on their way....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As Comrade Pip says: Let 'Em Come

      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QJ8TzuqpSQs

      Delete
  5. Is the edition of TMS available on iplayer?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It certainly is! Listen from 3hr 29min 52secs for the whole sordid tale!

      http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01r5y26

      Delete